Thursday, September 9, 2010

Going no where fast

 We spent some time in and around Colorado springs. We hiked up “the incline” which is like the hike of death for anyone but the most fit of people. 
It’s a mile hike on the way up but you climb over 2000 vertical feet or something and its intense in the sense that your lungs are burning legs are wobbly head is spinning a bit and there is the occasional old lady that is totally not even right. We all had to go at our own pace. My pace started out as short bursts of high intensity, then went to shorter bursts of mid intensity, to very short bursts of no intensity. 
my view every few minutes

During this excruciating process I tried to keep up with some people I met, John and Marlow I think? 
John and Marlow coming back down after hitting the top. i saw john later at the supermarket as well, small world


I’m not sure anymore do to the lack of oxygen in my brain. After trying to keep up with them and learning that john had crossed the states on a 69 triumph motorcycle I wished them well with what little breath I had as I faded into a blur of pain and torture. All the while Nate basically marched right up the thing with Laban and Dwayne in hot pursuit. I was somewhere behind and Chad and Hannah brought up the rear. 
Hannah almost died and it was her idea. we did all feel pretty proud that we finished it

On a side note I learned that every time Hannah remembers a story that may pertain to the general topic of discussion she starts it with “did I tell you guys this story before?” and at this point we have no idea what story she is about to tell, then half way through she double checks to make sure that she has not told us the story before. we followed a long way round on the way down with some sweet rocks to climb on and jump off of.

on top of pikes peak
Anyways we had some amazing times camping climbing and riding around the Colorado springs area. Not without small amounts of tension along the way.

At one point we separated trying to find a campsite just outside of Colorado springs. (this is after riding around for an hour with no avail) chad hannah and laban were together and Dwayne and nate were together (then I cought up to them) well we had no idea where chad was and through some phone conversations with VERY limited cell service I found out chad was at “370 and something” how the ……. Am I supposed to find that?!?! In the end it all worked out and they found a good campsite with a small creek next to it.


We are now in Denver getting ready to drop Hannah off at the airport and ship some stuff home that we don’t need. So we will continue our journey with lightened loads and heavy hearts as Hannah has and will continue to be part of our group.

Feeling word…………….maybe missed and loved

1 comment:

  1. Always keep track of who beats who, that's always fun... especially now that im gone, and it wont be me at the end of every hike =) (dont let me forget that i was talking smack before that incline hike, and almost died going up it, and almost didn't finish... man, to be in shape again.) And don't forget to keep score of who drops their bike the most.... Chad and I are at 6. Although, it could be 3 each if we count as individuals, or as Chad said, "I have one. Hannah has 5." I don't know if it is good to have a lot, or if it is like Hearts and you don't want points. You probably should come up with the scoring there.

    Man, I'm going to miss you boys! Thanks so much for letting me be part of the group... for being picky about pictures, and over-excited about camp sites, and eating berries, and hiking, and for being a girl every once in a while and sometimes a bit afraid of the dark. Thank you for making me feel like I fit in, that I can camp well, that i was needed for collecting firewood, or at least updating the blog. Thank you for letting me make a big deal about finding bubble tea, and talking about feelings around the campfire.

    It was a time of sweet memories... I'll still be following you guys. But, I vote the next venture to be to Alaska with you five boys... It will be a perfect hockey line. Kevin-dont forget that you volunteered to be goalie.

    Miss you guys already. I'm sitting in a nice hotel room in Salt Lake City, it's raining, but you're headed this direction and will be here soon. Wish I could offer you a pool, and do your laundry, and let you watch ESPN in my hotel room. Free breakfast in the morning before I catch my flight... and a 24 hour pool and hot tub. Wish I wasn't so lonely. Miss you boys!

    ReplyDelete