Sunday, September 12, 2010

The ABC’s for An Adventure of a Lifetime

Awaiting Another Adventure.
Backseat Biker.
Colorado Continues.
my view while heading for Pikes Peak...

there she stands... we're headed there.
Next, we were off for the beautiful climb up Pikes Peak. A 14,110 feet altitude, the mountain that inspired Katherine Lee Bates to write the words to “America the Beautiful.” Words can’t describe it. Pictures don’t do it justice either. But this is our attempt.


“I stink at taking pictures while biking!” 
–Kevin,
over the CB while riding up to the peak
“I’m just hanging on for dear life!” –Laban


how fun are these roads?
The cliffs were steep, the view was indescribable, the roads were curvy, and entertaining. The temperature dropped a good 30 degrees, and the air was noticeably thinner at the top.
look at this view!

At the top of Pike's Peak.
Are there words?
Love these guys.
blue, blue sky

good reminders.

beautiful clouds.

wonderful views.

perfect.

We met Jon on a beautiful yellow V-Strom. He is on a road trip from Minnesota while climbing the slopes to Pikes Peak. So great to meet a fellow traveler, and to share stories together for a few minutes. Thanks for stopping Jon! Safe travels to you!
Jon- a fellow V-Strom traveler from Minnesota. 
Splitting up to find a campsite is not the best idea… but it made for a very entertaining evening of trying to communicate without good reception on opposite mountains, and ultimately finding a campsite in the dark. When we all finally found each other, and when Chad found us a sweet campsite in the dark, the stories were so comical. We all had our story to tell—especially me. Laban,  Chad and I had listened to Dwayne, Nate, and Kevin traveling on the mountain next to us, going through tunnels and enjoying the beautiful view… we could hear them, but they couldn’t hear us. So hilarious.

Laban said at one point, “I think God is teaching me how to be a better listener.”

When we finally got a tiny bit of reception we tried calling Kevin who wouldn’t stop talking to let Chad explain where we were… Patient Chad waiting for Kevin to stop talking (typical), I’m yelling in the background, “Kevin, be quiet and let Chad explain where we are before we lose reception again!” It wasn’t until afterwards that Laban pointed out that our intercom system was on and I was yelling directly into Chad’s ears. Oops. Sorry, Chad. =)


our beautiful campsite in the morning after quite an eventful night... great work, Chad.
Kevin's bed. Jealous?
All back together again... ready to conquer the trail.
I’m not the only one who talks loud. Kevin and I both do. So phone conversations are quite, hmmm, noisy with the two of us.

“Am I talking real loud?” –Kevin (with his ear plugs in)
Yes, Kevin. Yes you are.

I love how Kevin makes me feel needed for collecting firewood.

I love how Nate calls Chad, “Chaddy” 
and so he calls Dwayne, “Dwayne-y”.

I love how Laban holds down the CB button to laugh after someone says something funny. (According to Kevin that is the appropriate lingo for communicating well… and Kevin would know.)

“It’s somewhere in the 9 o’clock hour.” 
–Dwayne
I love how Dwayne somehow provides a comic-relief without intending to. 
What I’ve learned about Dwayne: He doesn’t like rap, or country or pop music. So pretty much anything popular these days. He is going against the flow… way to not blend with the culture, D! He also cleans his dishes better than anyone else (besides maybe Chad), and gets annoyed when he pays a quarter for three M&M’s.

“That’s over eight cents an M&M!” –Dwayne 
(frustrated about getting ripped off from one of those coin-candy machines.)

What I’ve learned about Chad: He can set up two tents in the time that the other guys set up one, and he is very generous to let me use his mat when I don’t sleep in my hammock. He has really strong calf muscles to be able to keep us from tipping over at lights, and traffic jams, and he can find awesome campsites in the dark. He says "Whoa-o-o" when there is the potential of dumping our bike, every time. (such a comforting sound. Whoa-o-o. I can hear it know.)

I love that Chad let me ride in a dress to church, and in shorts to go hiking--so fun!

The town of Manitou Springs and the Old-downtown Colorado Springs is so cute!

We were in search of internet and stumbled across Jives Coffee Shop. I loved the afternoon at Jives on Colorado Ave. Up to this point, the coffee place that Nate found in Pierre, SD had been ranked the highest on my coffee shop list… but Jives past it up. A totally great place; I recommend it highly to anyone traveling through Colorado Springs. It has a great atmosphere… they have started a church on Sunday afternoons, and that is when we were there…free ice tea and ice cream, an encouraging message from Randy and other testimonies. It was so wonderful to be a part of their worship service, and to meet some of the adventurous Coloradans. We were so blessed! Thank you! May God expand the ministry there and use Jives for His glory! Thanks, Paul, for the wonderful Bahkti Chai!

I would like to share a skill that I have mastered: drinking a hot Chai drink while motorcycling in search of a campsite in the national forest west of Colorado Springs. 
It’s a gift, I don’t talk about it much.


Garden of the Gods: The place where it seems like you have entered a scene from the Lord of the Rings, or a page from a Dr. Seuss book.


I have driven through this park several times in the last few weeks, and walked through it a few times too… once in the dark. It never gets old. I love the way that the names of the rocks creatively are named after what they really look like: 

The Kissing Camels. 


The Balancing Rock.
What a good looking group of guys, eh? 
I love that there was a couple getting their wedding pictures taken in the beautiful red-rock garden. What a beautiful place!

What I’ve learned about me (with the help of these five guys): I don’t hesitate to try unknown berries in the woods. I like breaking the type of rules that are made just for the sake of having rules… not the ones that are beneficial and necessary, just the ones that are unnecessary. I think most rules are for people who don’t know how to control themselves… so as long as you can be responsible for a fire, than go ahead, have a fire. I love sunsets and sleeping in hammocks, and I love being warm while watching the stars.  
I make big deals about things that don’t really matter: like finding bubble tea in every state. And I come across as pushy: like when I try to convince the guys that hiking Pikes Peak is vital for a good Colorado experience. I talk too much, most of the time. I take way too many pictures, and enjoy it, mostly. I need to wear backings on my earrings, all the time. I am not a great Hearts player, but I still can beat anyone in cribbage, any day. I’m good at talking smack, but I’m not in shape like I was in college. I am so extremely blessed, and I don’t deserve a single ounce of it.

breathtaking beauty
And then north we go, once again. Camping one last time in the Pikes National Forest, west of Denver. Another amazing ride. Maybe the most amazing ride, yet. And an awesome campsite, complete with a practice “set-up-the-rain-tarp-because-it’s-raining” gig.
our campsite under the rain tarp
Some amazing bouldering and scrambling on these teetering rocks in the mountains that Dwayne found; cans of spaghetti in the fire, and S’mores for dessert; and some processing time around the campfire with the boys whom I have come to care for and love. I will miss this. I will miss these guys.

Twins for the day.
Mary, I thought you would appreciate this.
There was only pretend disgust from Chad, and only a few eye rolls from Dwayne.
Our last meal at the Carnation restaurant in Denver. (Actually, I was very impressed… good food, good service, good place.) Last time putting on my helmet, last time climbing behind Chad on his bike, my last ride as we drove to the airport.

A lot of emotion leaving. Torn. Wanting to stay, and ready to go. Ready for the next adventure in Alaska, but feeling lonely. Longing to stay to continue the journey, and sensing that it has come to an end… in many ways, Alaska awaits. And so I leave with a heavy heart, but excited for what the journey ahead looks for both sets of travelers… the boys heading south eventually, me heading as north as possible for a while.


While the adventure continues… my adventure awaits.

Awaiting from Alaska, Hannah

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah: Excellent Blog with beautiful pics. An absolutely wonderful experience. I also appreciated your beautiful and heartfelt words when departing the travelers, to head home to Alaska to start your new adventure. Best wishes to all and stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah,
    You have a true gift for writing an interesting, humorous and thought-provoking blog!

    ReplyDelete