Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Grand Vegizona

After our run in with Death Valley and recouping at a hotel in Pahrump NV Nate and I met up with Chad, Dwayne, and Laban in Vegas for a large buffet. So we then blew all our money on the slot machines. Nah really the buffet just set us back about $10. We headed south out of down town Vegas and found a hotel not to far away. Some of the guys went back into town to see the town all lit up while I stayed and updated the blog and went swimming. We hung out at the hotel, chad put a new rear tire on and we swam again.


In the afternoon Nate headed to Phoenix to catch a flight to BC for his cousins wedding and the rest of us headed for the grand canyon, camping about 13 miles south of the park entrance. By this evening everyones drop totals where at: Nate leading us with 17 drops, Chad at 12 followed closely by me (Kevin) with 11, with Dwayne and Laban bringing up the rear at about 8 apiece. 
We drove across Hover Dam

So in the morning we decided that we would all do our own thing for the day. We set a time and location to meet at towards the end of the day. I can’t tell you what everyone else did but I road around a bit stopping at some of the over looks. I gave a few people heart attacks while sitting on the edge of the canyon swinging my legs about, and doing a little exploring/climbing to get on top of a rock sticking out into the canyon. 





While in The Grand Canyon National Park I got rained on. The first rain I had seen for a very very long time. It was probably the most fun I have head riding in the rain up until this point. It was incredibly refreshing to feel the rain soaking into my riding jacket. It didn’t rain long or hard enough to get me wet the whole way through and I was headed out of the park anyway. As I was riding out of the park I kept seeing these little dirt roads headed off the side of the road towards a the canyon. Obviously I took one and was rewarded we a secluded view of the little Colorado River canyon. I did a small photo shoot there then continued onto our meeting place.



Dwaynes latest drop

Laban still eating his 5 lbs of potatoes
It was pretty late till we found a “campsite” this was my least favorite campsite so far. Nothing could really be down about it its just the way things worked out. But I wanted to sleep in my hammock and water wouldn’t have been bad either. But it was a very dry campsite with cacti everywhere and no trees that were suitable for my hammock. So I rolled my ground mat out on the ground watch 2 episodes of Seinfeld and called it a night. About 2:30am I awoke to the sound of howling coyotes just over the hump. And howl they did. I didn’t mind too much till they stopped then all I could think was that they were sneaking up the small valley right beside us. I would fall asleep only to wake up an hour later to hear them start up and go at it again. This happened till the sun came up.


look a sink! i can wash my hands
We headed on into Phoenix and stayed with some of Dwaynes friends Sienna and Andrew who were kind enough to put us up for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment